Akmenės Cementas AB
is located in the Northern edge of Lithuania, in Naujoji Akmenė.
In1947 construction of cement plant was started.
In 1952 operation of the first clinker burning rotary kiln was started.
In 1953 second clinker burning kiln, which is even 127 m of length, started to operate.
In 1959 construction of the third cement production technological line was finished.
In 1961 construction of the fourth cement production technological line was finished.
In July 1970 the second cement production complex had started to operate. Two the most modern at that time in Soviet Union clinker burning kilns of 185 m of length and 5 m in diameter rotated in this complex.
In 1974 construction of two rotary kilns of the same kind was finished and operation was started. After maximum capacity of these kilns was reached, then Akmenės cementas plant supplied customers with 3, 4 mil. t of cement per year.
In 1955 Having increasing demand for building materials inside the country Akmenės cementas plant was charged to produce other building materials, consequently a modern lime production department with the annual capacity of 36 thous. t started to operate. In 1964 asbestos product (pipes and slates) department was opened.
In 1976 due to large production volumes cement plant was reorganized into Akmene's cement and slate group of enterprises.
In 1979 Akmene's cement and slate group of enterprises was renamed Akmene's cement and slate production merger Akmencementas. At that time company's production was exported to Cuba, Yugoslavia, Hungary.
In 1989 company occurred under subordination of Republic of Lithuania, not the Soviet Union.
Since the 1st December, 1990 it became the state company Akmenės Cementas with it‘s core business of cement production and sale.
Since 16th September, 1993 the company has been ran as stock company Akmenės Cementas.
In 1996 the complex of four rotary kilns was closed as economically inefficient.
Since 1997 company's capital is private wherein majority is owned by Lithuanian investors.
In 1998 the cement testing laboratory was accredited by Lithuanian National Accreditation Bureau.
On 27th August, 1999 the first Quality Management System Certificate was given (based on LST EN ISO 9002:1995 standard)
In 2001 34 % of company's shares were acquired by subsidiary company Rugby Holding B. V. of English company RMC Group p.l.c.
In 2002 the construction of new coal preparation department was completed. Coal mill No. 1 was assembled and started operation. Value of the project - 16 million Litas.
In 2004 changes occurred in ownership of the company. Holder of 34 % of company's shares became Mexican concern Cemex.
In 2005 new packing line was put in operation. Up-to-date machinery of packing department allowed cutting labour costs by half.
On the 17th February, 2005 Swedish Institute of technical research SP certificated Environmental management system meeting requirements of LST EN ISO 14001l.
In May 2006 waste tyres burning line started operation. Investment to this line was 2 million Litas. Alternative type of fuel - waste tyres - were started to use in plant. Approximately 10 % of main fuel was replaced to this alternative fuel.
In 2006 for the first time in a history of independent Republic of Lithuania 1, 06 mil. t of cement was produced.
In 2006 an investment project on second coal mill was implemented and burning of heavy oil in rotary kilns was stopped. The project value amounted to 10 million Litas. This investment allows operating of two kilns in high season using coal.
On 22nd of August, 2006 Quality Management System Certificate, which proved that quality management system of the company meets requirements of LST EN ISO 9001, not only for production of unpacked cement but for packing as well, was issued.
In September, 2006 implementation of the largest investment - conversion from wet production process (used for more than 50 years) to dry process - was started. The new technology significantly increases efficiency of plant and reduces power consumption.
On the 21st of September, 2007 the company celebrated its 55th anniversary. Present and former employees of the company were honoured.
In 2007 the plant started to produce new type of cement - Portland-slag cement. On the 10th of November EC-certificate of conformity was issued for this new product.
In November, 2007 Occupational Health and Safety Management System, which meets requirements of OHSAS 18001 international standard was certified and this system was successfully implemented in the company.
In 2008 contracts were signed with suppliers of equipment for new technological line: German company KHD, HUMBOLDT WEDAG GmbH; Italian company BEDESCHI S.P.A.; Italian company CTP TEAM S.R.L.; German company SIEMENS AG.
On the 1st July, 2008 AB ,,Akmenės cementas" became as Full Member of European cement association CEMBUREAU.